Presenter(s): Stephen Patrick, MD, MPH, MS, FAAP and Brenda Poindexter, MD, MS, FAAP
About the webinar: The goal of this webinar is to train pediatricians in evidence-based practices to prevent, identify, and treat neonatal abstinence syndrome.
In 2012, the AAP Committee on Fetus and Newborn published a clinical report on Neonatal Drug Withdrawal that summarized the signs and clinical presentation of neonatal withdrawal consistent with maternal use and intrauterine exposure of certain drugs during pregnancy and provided therapeutic options for the treatment of withdrawal. Since the time of this publication, the use of prescription opioid medications in pregnant women and rates of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) have reached epidemic proportions. In this webinar, we will review the evidence on improvements in the identification of at-risk infants and standardized treatment and will review best practices for discharge and post-hospital follow-up for infants with NAS.
- Summarize epidemiology and population health consequences of opioid use in the US, including NAS.
- Review treatment of NAS, including non-pharmacologic interventions.
- Appraise the evidence from recent clinical trials evaluating pharmacotherapy for NAS.
- Describe the need for long-term outcome follow-up of infants exposed to opioids in-utero and those who receive pharmacologic treatment for NAS.
How to obtain your Certificate of Completion:
Thank you for viewing our archived webinar. In order to document your participation in the training, please follow the steps below to obtain your Certificate of Completion.
- Click the “Watch Now” button above and follow the on-screen prompts.
- View the recorded webinar and return to the web page that listed the webinar recording link.
- Click “Continue” to move to the next page.
- Select “Yes” to attest that you have viewed the recording in its entirety.
- Click “Complete Course” and you will be directed to our thank you page.
- Click the “Click here to continue” link to complete the evaluation.
- Upon completion of the evaluation, you will receive your Certificate of Completion via email.
- If you have any questions or you do not receive your certificate, please email or call (855) 227-2776.
Note: This archive webinar is not designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.