Presenter(s): Adam J. Gordon, MD, MPH, FACP, DFASAM and Timothy J. Sowicz, PhD, CRNP
About the webinar: Transitions in care present challenges and opportunities for both patients and health care providers in the management of chronic, non-malignant pain. These challenges may be compounded if the patient previously displayed aberrant behaviors around opioid use.
While this information may guide management decisions, the importance of building a new, trusting professional relationship is necessary to ensure that the patient’s concerns are addressed appropriately.
This presentation will utilize case studies to discuss the challenges and opportunities a new provider faces in assuming the care of someone with chronic, non-malignant pain particularly as it relates to concerns about the use of opioids and the presence of opioid use disorder. Participants will be encouraged to explore the case from the perspective of the patient and brainstorm ideas on how to improve the professional relationship while ensuring safe care is provided.
- State challenges and opportunities associated with transitions in care for both patients and health care providers generally and those specifically related to the use of opioids chronically
- Discuss non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic treatments for the management of chronic, non-malignant pain
- Discuss criteria for diagnosing opioid use disorder
- Discuss the experiencing transitions middle-range theory as a framework for understanding transitions between patients and their health care providers
Accreditation and designation: The American Psychiatric Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Psychiatric Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion:
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate:
- Click the “Watch Now” button above or go to: http://apapsy.ch/active-injection-ondemand
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase.” This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.
For questions regarding this activity, please contact APA staff: [email protected]