By Esteban Toledo Carrion, M.D.
Sponsoring organization: American Psychiatric Association (APA)
Clinical Vignette Description:
- Substance use disorders have a high co-morbid rate of mental illness.
- Chronic pain requires a holistic assessment and treatment approach.
- Pharmacological treatment of substance use disorders can potentially address pain as well.
- Mindfulness can contribute to the reduction of pain and overall improved mental health.
- Identify patients at risk or with an active substance use disorder
- Rcognize other co-morbidities that may be contributing to substance use
- Discuss the neuro-psychology of pain
- Identify non-pharmacological interventions for pain
Accreditation and Designation: The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion:
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate:
- Go to Pain and Addiction: A Clinical Path To Mindfulness
- LOG IN with Existing Account or CREATE a New Account
- Enable pop-ups
- Select your statement of credit type, click Submit, acknowledge your selection on the pop-up by clicking “OK”
- Review the Activity Overview, click Next
- Review the CE Information, click Next
- Click Purchase (This is a free product. You will be re-directed into the shopping cart in the same browser/tab window, and will need to follow the prompts provided to complete your transaction.)
- After you reach the order confirmation page; return and refresh the page at Pain and Addiction: A Clinical Path To Mindfulness
- Click View Content, read the instructions provided, then click on each hyperlink to view the material, click Next to continue
- Complete the APA Evaluation, click Submit and then Next
- Click the button to print your Certificate
For questions regarding this activity, please contact APA staff: [email protected]